I recently asked a couple of mid-senior Social Media Strategists in India to respond to five questions on Social Media as a career option. If you are a fresher, love interacting with people, and believe in the power of digital, Social is your thing!
- Why choose Social Media Communication as a career?
- A key requirement in today’s age of digital communication
- Lots of growth in the industry and a great learning opportunity
- Opportunity to grow with the industry
- Collaborate with fellow practitioners across the world
- What are your Top 3 suggestions for Social Media agencies?
- Upskill on analytics, various formats of content development (video, gifs, etc.)
- Get smarter and agile, to be responsive in a fast-paced environment
- Showcase tangible business results
- What do you think Marketing needs to know when it comes to Social?
- Know your audience on various platforms as they are different on different platforms.
- Exciting place to test and target.
- Be flexible and open to experimentation
- What advice do you have for leaders using Social Media?
- Nothing like personally being on the platform and engaging with other leaders
- Give time and guidance to your teams
- Lead by example
- Share 5 skills required to succeed as a Social Media professional.
- A passion for digital engagement
- Creative (Writing, Visual, Design, Video, Audio, etc.)
- Good understanding of marketing data analytics
- Always open to try out something new. Be flexible and agile.
- A keen eye for trends, potential trends
The most powerful medium of communication, Word of Mouth, just got a whole lot better. If you are a communication professional in India, you cannot choose to ignore skilling yourself with social media tools. Read. A few recommendations for aspiring social media professionals where you can get good social media content – Social Media Today, PR Daily, Ragan, SproutSocial, BufferSocial, etc.
Get aboard – observe, listen, appreciate, share!